Skip to content
Mar 13 12

Flow with TextMate

by nick

I’m considering switching from ForkLift to Flow. The fact that Flow currently $5 in the MAS doesn’t hurt.

I use Textmate for my text editor, and I have a TextMate project pointed to ForkLift’s download file location, which is at ~/Library/caches/com.binarynights.ForkLift2. I wanted to do the same for Flow, and it is at ~/Library/Application Support/Flow/Editor.

[1] The 2.5 beta of ForkLift may keep me around, I like shiny and new.

Mar 9 12

Gluing tubulars

by nick

I get the feeling that I may be embarking on this journey in the next months.

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f7/how-gluing-cx-tubulars-not-tonight-honey-ive-got-mastik-1-headache-10244.html.

Mar 6 12

ImageMagick missing fonts in OS X Lion

by nick

The error:

convert: unable to read font `font_name' @ warning/annotate.c/RenderType/810

can be fixed by following the suggestions from http://gothick.org.uk/2008/03/14/using-os-x-fonts-in-imagemagick/

In my case, I installed fondu from source:

./configure
make
sudo make install
,

and then had to create the locate database:

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.locate.plist
sudo /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb

I ended up having to put the generated type.xml file in /usr/local/lib/ImageMagick-6.6.7/config/. The path may vary based on your configuration.

I hope this helps someone!

Jun 3 11

MetaSearch struggle

by nick

TL;DR – MetaSearch doesn’t respond like you think it should when you try to use (named) scopes without registering with :search_methods first.

I ran across a strange issue with MetaSearch with a model I have:

class Order < ActiveRecord::Base
  scope :completed, {:conditions => "status='complete'"}
end

I was trying to do the following:

Order.search(:date_gte => Date.today - 14, :date_lt => Date.today + 1, :completed => true).

The resulting query looked like:

SELECT * FROM orders WHERE date < '2011-06-04'

My first thought was "MetaSearch does not support using multiple predicates per column. That's odd..." - but really it was that MetaSearch didn't completely finish creating all the wheres due to the use of the scope 'completed'. The fix was simply to call search_methods :completed. MetaSearch works as expected at that point.

It is important to say this is not an error with MetaSearch.

This gist should help too: https://gist.github.com/dbab58161d9a65cf5f1c. Add to config/initializers.

Apr 21 11

Music

by nick

Uploaded some new recordings. Email for the link.